Why You'll Love This Job
Come bake with us!
The R&D Lab Technician’s primary responsibilities will include working with the team to expand and improve current product lines, and assist in the development of new products. Demonstrate expertise in handling raw materials, aid in development of standardized processes and product specifications, measure and record data for consistent execution, and support product commercialization.
- Consistent and dependable attendance.
- Ability to work with or around food allergens of all types.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs consistently per production needs.
- Must have the ability to stand a minimum of 6 hours without a break and a maximum of 12 hours with a break. There are NO sitting positions or jobs.
- Organize, refill and keep common and sample ingredients in an orderly manner while recognizing shelf life and expiration dates
- Ability to record baking data and keep good records
- Work in a clean, organized manner including washing pans, cleaning equipment, removing trash
- Be available to work weekends and off shifts per departmental needs.
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and traverse walkways.
- Ability to work in confined spaces. (Spiral, oven area, proof box, etc.)
- Implement standards for existing product and process parameters
- Aid in researching parameters for purchased products including ingredients, work in progress and finished goods
- Work under the approval and direction of the Research and Development Supervisor/Manager to revise/improve existing baked products
- In cooperation with Production Management, continuously improve process parameters and product cost and quality
- Work under the approval and direction of the Research and Development Supervisor/Manager to develop new baked products
- Aid in creating new products
- Work with formulation and ingredients as appropriate to establish proper materials and parameters
- Work through the Research and Development Supervisor/Manager to establish product criteria
- Conduct production line audits and develop data validating established criteria
- Work through the Research and Development Supervisor/Manager to present new offerings to Marketing, Retail and Manufacturing groups, as appropriate
- Make product samples with established formulas
- Taste or smell foods or ingredients to ensure that flavors meet specifications or to select samples with specific characteristics
- Maintain records of testing results or other documents as required by state or other governing agencies
- Follow policies and procedures for new product development including requests approved by the VP of Research & Development and Culinary Innovation
- Maintain and update daily logs recording product performance
- In conjunction with the Food Safety Committee, develop, implement and maintain quality assurance procedures designed to meet governmental and industry standards for food safety
- Actively participate on the Food Safety Committee as directed
- Ensure Lean Manufacturing principles are utilized, and improvement ideas are generated and proposed
- Prepare necessary documents for line staff to check weights according to schedule on a daily basis
- Work with production supervisors, crew leaders, and operators to keep product within stated specifications
- Identify areas of process that are negatively affecting the flow of production and/or the finished product
- Participate in efforts that improve processing methods, food safety and quality, delivery performance, housekeeping and the implementation of cost reductions
- Aide in trouble shooting and corrective actions
- Work through the appropriate manager, supervisor, and crew leader to ensure all controlled measures are observed and maintained
- Act as a role model at all times by maintaining a clean and organized work environment and participating in the operation’s housekeeping programs
- Participate in a challenging, goal-oriented environment by communicating performance levels of the production teams with Production Managers and the Research and Development Manager/Supervisor for continuous improvement
- Compute moisture or salt content, percentages of ingredients, formulas, or other product factors, using mathematical and chemical procedure
- Perform regular maintenance of R&D equipment by inspecting, calibrating, cleaning, or sterilizing
- Analyze test results to classify products or compare results with standard tables
Skills & Qualifications
- Able to work effectively in a team environment
- Experience in bakery/pastry/production/manufacturing
- Ability to follow directions in written and verbal format
- Possess basic computer skills including – Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and email
- Expertly weigh, measure, mix, bake and finish baked & pastry goods
- Advanced mathematic skills to include, but not limited to, the ability to deduce averages, determine percentages, and use algebra to calculate differing throughputs
- Competent in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Ability to become AIB certified within 6 months of enrolling in the Advanced Baking Technology Course
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Experience in food manufacturing/processing/bakery.
- Associates Degree in Baking & Pastry and/or 2 years of related work experience
- Knowledge of BRC/SQF requirements
- Flexible schedule that can accommodate work load peaks and variations