Why You'll Love This Job
Since 1987, the team at Cafe Valley has produced muffins, bundt cakes, ring cakes, loaf cakes, danishes, turnovers, croissants, and our signature Cafe Bites for our customers throughout the United States and across the world. Demand for our products have grown to the extent that our state-of-the-art, Phoenix, AZ production facility built in 2011 was joined by our Marion, IN production facility in 2014. Through innovative bakery techniques and unique recipes, we continue to delight one bite at a time.
The Food Safety Regulatory Manager is responsible for ensuring the company's compliance with food safety regulations and standards. This role involves overseeing various aspects of food safety, including nutritional labeling, supply chain preventative controls, preserved standard of identity documentation, traceability, recall programs, and certifications such as GFSI, Non-GMO, Peanut Free and RSPO. The successful candidate will lead and guide the company's quality systems, ensuring adherence to current regulations and best practices in food safety. A food science degree or related field is required for this position.
Success factors/job competencies:
- Supply Chain Preventative Controls: Develop and execute preventative controls in line with 21 CFR 117 regulations, utilizing TraceGains software for document verification and monitoring.
- Preserved Standard of Identity: Develop and maintain all records in TraceGains for Kosher, Non-GMO, RSPO and any new ingredient claims.
- Traceability and Recall Program: Develop and oversee a robust traceability and recall program to quickly respond to any food safety issues or recalls.
- Label Content Development Expert: Must develop Nutritional Facts Panels using ESHA, ingredient statement, Allergen Statements, Preventative Allergen Labeling, Net weights, and any Labeling claims.
- Food Safey Management Systems: Manage and enhance the company's Quality Management System to meet or exceed industry standards and regulatory requirements.
- Meeting Customer Expectations by Organized Documentation: Fulfilling sales requests for customer required documentation pertaining to food safety.
- Maintaining Customer Website Data: Many customers maintain custom web portals for product specifications and food safety data. This must be maintained.
- Regulatory Knowledge: Must possess in-depth knowledge of various regulatory standards and guidelines relevant to the food industry and the ability to stay updated on changing regulations.
- Quality Assurance: Strong expertise in quality assurance processes and standards is essential for ensuring the company's products meet rigorous quality standards.
- Nutritional Labeling: Expertise in developing and managing nutritional labeling, including Nutritional Facts Panels and allergen statements, using tools like ESHA.
- Documentation: Proficiency in documentation methods to meet regulatory requirements and maintain records of compliance programs, consumer complaints, and other quality-related data.
- Statistical Process Control (SPC): Experience with SPC analysis in a food manufacturing environment and familiarity with tools like Redzone SPC and Tableau for custom reports.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in computer systems, particularly in software like Excel (including macros and pivot tables), Access, and other relevant applications for data analysis and documentation.
- Communication: Effective communication skills, both technical and non-technical, are essential for interacting with management, internal and external customers, and team members.
- Compliance Monitoring: Monitoring compliance with all regulatory and customer-specific requirements, including scheduling plant activities to ensure compliance.
- Validation: Establishing and managing validation processes for current programs and staying ahead of changing requirements.
- Policy and Procedure Development: Developing and maintaining policies and procedures to ensure ongoing compliance with regulatory standards.
- Data Management: Organizing and maintaining documentation, reporting data, and managing customer-specific requirements.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, or a related field
- Extensive experience (typically 5+ years) in food safety and quality management, with a proven track record of leadership and strategic thinking.
- In-depth knowledge of food safety regulations, quality control methodologies, and industry best practices.
- Strong communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills.
- Certifications such as PCQI, HACCP, HARPC, Certified Food Scientist (CFS), Certified Quality Manager (CQM), or similar are advantageous.
- All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship
Experience with Statistical Process Control analysis in food manufacturing environment, Redzone SPC, Tableau custom reports
Progressive increase in quality assurance responsibility in batter and laminated products in a manufacturing environment.
Extensive knowledge in computer systems, excel, macros, pivots, access, and applications
Extensive knowledge in microbiology/chemistry of food products