Why You'll Love This Job
The Food Safety Quality Control Technician I inspects in-process materials and finished baked goods such as Croissants, Cakes, Muffins, and Pastries for conformance to food safety and product quality specifications. They inspect ingredients and raw materials for conformance to specifications and food safety requirements. They also perform sanitation effectiveness inspections and monitor good manufacturing practices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Success factors/job competencies:
- Consistent and dependable attendance.
- Ability to work weekends and flexible schedules as business needs demand.
- Must be able to work within a team environment, treat all with respect, maintaining professionalism. Ability interact with all levels of the organization.
- Must have the ability to walk and stand a minimum of 6 hours without a break and a maximum of 12 hours with a break.
- Ability to work with or around food allergens of all types.
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and traverse walkways.
- Ability to work in confined spaces. (Spiral)
- Good working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs)
- Enforce all food safety plan Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Correctly use all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Examine finished products, ingredients and raw materials for defects, packaging defects, conditions and temperatures not compliant with specification
- Accurately collect and input data into the digital production system, documenting product safety and quality standard compliance
- Monitor processing equipment for correct function such as temperature and humidity
- Report quality or safety issues to the FSQA Supervisor and the FSQA Manager
- Effectively communicate with production personnel and management with respect to product specification conformance
- Implementation of corrective action
- Good knowledge of Critical Control Points (CCPs)
- Metal detector calibration verification
- Properly complete and document pre-operational inspections
- Conduct testing verifying basic product specification verification such as moisture, pH, water activity, etc.
- Conduct testing verifying some in-process specification compliance such as brix, ATP levels, etc.
- Calibration verification of thermometers, scales and other equipment
- Place product, ingredients, equipment and areas of the facility on hold as required to maintain control and assist in assuring product safety and quality, correctly using the digital inventory system
- Conduct pre-operational visual inspections
- Conduct sanitation verification swabbing - ATP and microbiological
- Retention sample collection, labeling and storage
- Product review sample collection and preparation
- Perform sensory evaluation of products during assigned product reviews
- Assist the FSQA Supervisor and the FSQA Manager with projects as needed
- Complete on-line training assignments as assigned
- Assist in covering FSQA Technician shifts as needed for vacations and absences
- Assist the Warehouse FSQA Technician as assigned, receiving of bulk raw ingredients and verification of the flour sifter as needed
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instruction.
- Self-starter with good organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED. College is preferable, but not necessary
- Six months to one year food processing quality assurance experience and/or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of HACCP and FSMA requirements
- Knowledge of BRC/SQF requirements
- Knowledge of sanitation practices
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Basic GMP knowledge
- Food handler’s certificate/card (Arizona plant)
- Good math skills
- Basic computer skills